Friday, March 6, 2009

Dervaes

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2008/01/06/100-foot-diet-challenge-launch/

What really strikes me about this movie is how extreme a step their family was willing to take to keep his children safe from the toxins in food and to start a movement against the affects of the industrial revolution and the killing of our planet. Though my mom STRONGLY disapproves of the toxins put in our food she has not made a huge stand against it like this family, and I think you don't see a lot of people who are that willing to take a risk like that and depend totally on themselves for most of their food. I believe the Dervaes family needs vs. wants sheet would have a lot less wants then most people's or it is just totally different. I think they would have the same basic needs as most people, like food water and a house. I don't believe they would have wants like most people have like ten pairs of shoes and stuff like that. If they did have a lot of needs it would probably be just needs like some clothes, yarn (i saw them knitting) ethanol fuel etc. The Dervaes family fits into what we're learning from My Ishmael in one main way. They are going against the whole "you have to lock up the food". My Ishmael has showed us that when the government or leaders lock up the food, they have power, and people follow them. Like it said in the beginning of the movie, the father said "I think this is the most dangerous occupation on this earth because you are in danger of becoming free." This family has freedom along with growing there own food because they are not working to get the locked up food, they are not buying into the whole "takers" plan. Overall, I think it's really interesting how this family lives and it was a huge risk. I think I would be scared to try to live like this because I've grown up with other food, and depending on the "takers" system.

4 comments:

Victoria A said...

You made a good point when you said that people (like your mom, you said) want it to be good, but they dont make a stand. I think that there are lots of people who think the same way as your mom.

Anonymous said...

i love how looked back to your notes on the movie and you took real life expamles and you took them and used them in your blog. good job.

Shaelyn W. said...

I loved how you were talking about people being too lazy to do anything besides complain! great blog post :)

Shyana Brown said...

this us really informative. it really helps out the people that have not seen the movie. keep up the good work!