Thursday, December 4, 2008

Book 6 Dialectic Journal

"Why is it in a war you can't fall asleep when you want to and can't stay awake when you have to ?" I definitely agreed with the author when I read this quote because it always seems that when you have to stay awake you can't and when you want to sleep you have to when you're doing something really important that demands both these things at certain times. I can compare this quote to moments when I've been in shows where I have had to dance, and I am really tired because I've been dancing for hours but I can't fall asleep because I have to do another show. By the end of the night I'm all pumped up again and awake from just finishing a dance number so I can't fall asleep when I really need to, so I can get enough rest for tomorrows show.
"His right hand clasped the flare of his cheek piece and tugged the ghastly mask down, in an instant the humanity of his face vanished his gentle expressive eyes became unseeable pools of blackness chasmed within the fierce eye sockets of bronze, all compassion fled in an instant from his aspect, replaced with the black mask of murder..." -chapter 24____ This passage really strikes me because it is such a clear image in my head, and the words are so powerful. The part of the quote where the author writes "unseeable pools of blackness chasmed within the the fierce eye sockets of bronze..... the black mask of murder" really strikes me because it's so detailed. I can see the shadows from the mask making the soldiers eye's dark and harsh in my head, and what it means. It not only creates a clear picture in your head but it also indicates what the Spartans are trying to represent. "Black mask of murder" is meant to scare the enemy, and make them look like they are fit for battle.

No comments: