Monday, May 11, 2009

This I Believe


I Believe In Chivalry This essay was sent in by Aaron, a college student in New York. I liked this essay because my siblings and I were raised to follow southern and values by my mom, who was born and raised in Texas. In the authentic country, and for all my Texan family, chivalry is really important and is one of the highest actions of respect. My dad was raised by a strict navy captain, who also believed in chivalry, so his teachings have also been pressed upon our family. I usually only hear the importance of chivalry when I'm in Texas, and it's kind of depressing that you don't see it more often, so I was really surprised when I read this. :)


Thirty Things I Believe This was written by a kindergarten who was given the assignment by his teacher to bring in 100 things on the 100th day of school. While other kids brought in 100 of an object, Tarak brought in a list of a 100 things he believes. I really liked this list because it is so simple, but so true. I was also amazed that it was written by an innocent six year old, who was so young, but so observant of the way the world can improve.


Recovering the Hope of Children This essay was about a man in the air force while in Afghanistan. He talks about seeing the people there so hurt, and so hopeless. He recalls a memory where he handed a little boy a teddy bear, and saw hope reignited, in both him and his guardian. I really liked this essay because it was such a great lesson of how the littlest act of kindness can make someones day, and help them start anew.

No comments: